The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

Inside AP Physics 1

Simply put, physics is the study of how the world works, as is science in general, but physics sets itself apart in the way it analyzes the world. A step above simple fact memorization, physics uses math and deep thinking to get to the root of many complex phenomena. Physics teaches not just the how, but the why as well.

If you are interested in physics, you need to have a high proficiency with math. Although it is not entirely a math course, math is the bridge between the larger, more abstract concepts of physics and actual, real-world results. According to Junior, Kentaro Matsushima, the class can be “difficult to get a hang of at first” as “the first class you’ll take where you have to integrate mathematics with science.”

As an AP-level course, Physics 1 is also much more conceptual than an Honors or Regents physics class. It requires a greater understanding of the material and extrapolates from basic formulas to uncover deeper relationships and truths about our world. As much as any physics class requires advanced understanding of math, AP Physics requires students to stretch their brains and figure things out independently.

There is a good and a bad to the challenge offered by AP Physics 1. If you are completely on board with the course and can comprehend its concepts, the curriculum will deepen your understanding of each and make you a proficient physicist. However, if you do not quite get a concept, it certainly takes perseverance and determination to maintain your confidence and hone your skills. It can often feel like staring down at the edge of a cliff, and having to calculate the trajectory of your imminent flight down that cliff.

If you do hang on and focus on the concepts of Physics-1, you will reap the benefits of the course. If you think “the best part of a magic trick is figuring out how it is done,” as AP Physics teacher Mr. Lundquist does, the class will reveal how the great magic tricks of the universe are performed. And, according to Kentaro Matsushima, “if you do your part in studying and doing homework,” you can easily navigate the class and do well.

Another highlight of AP Physics is its teacher, Mr. Lundquist, who, in Matsushima’s view, “does a great job of explaining the concepts” of the course. Another Junior, Max Eidinoff, praises Mr. Lundquist for teaching Physics in a way that makes seemingly difficult topics “easy to understand.” His calm manner and sarcastic humor bring much-needed levity to a sometimes dry course and enhances students’ understanding of the material.

If you are willing to take the plunge and enroll in AP Physics 1 and you continually focus on absorbing the curriculum to the best of your ability, you will not be disappointed. The class is a challenge, but one worthy of being accepted.

The Paw Print • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Paw Print Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *