College: What’s Important When Applying?

The idea of going to college weighs down on every high school student’s head at one point or another. While some have a clear-cut plan of what they want to become in life, others may still be finding their calling. Is standardized testing really a good way to judge a student’s abilities when it comes to applying to a college?

Every student has different talents, strengths, and weaknesses that make her who she is. With standardized testing, every student is required to take the same exam, not taking into account individual abilities. When applying to a college, these tests are looked at in detail and, in some cases, weigh heavily when it comes to acceptance. Maybe colleges should look more at the whole picture and what’s been accomplished in all four years of high school instead of one exam.

Some students’ talents blossom later in life. Some acquire skills at a certain task after college and beyond. Judging a person through testing to determine what she is skilled at or what career she should pursue isn’t completely accurate. High school students today are put under a large amount of pressure to figure out what they want to become. As long as a student can stay financially secure, he or she shouldn’t be pressured to find a calling. Often, people can find the best ideas when they aren’t even looking for them.

When applying to college, people should go after what they really have a passion instead of obsessing over an exam. Passion can propel a person to success and ultimately lead to happiness later in life. A career is something that we can be stuck with for decades. Having a job should be enjoyable–something that not only alleviates stress, but overall makes a happier person throughout life.