Lamplighters

Elizabeth Plaisir, Staff Writer

Do you know what goes on backstage during performances like school concerts and plays? I’ll tell you what happens. Diligent Lamplighters work behind the scenes to make sure these performances look as great as they can by perfecting their lights and sounds. Being a Lamplighter isn’t easy. You heard me—it isn’t easy. It’s actually a very stressful job, and it’s so much more than being on stage and taking props in and out. Lamplighters have to make sure there are enough people for lighting, backstage, set design, and sounds so the show looks and sounds perfect. Here’s what the advisor (Mr. Plompen), President (Hans Bas) and Vice President (Esteban Lopez) had to say about being Lamplighters:

“This is my first year as advisor for Lamplighters and already I’m seeing why so many people join this club. Working the lights and sounds in the PAC can be stressful at times, especially when we are spending late night after late night in the auditorium at rehearsals. Once the actual night of a show arrives, however, it is such a fun and exciting experience that it really makes it all worth it and keeps me and my students coming back for more. All of the students and officers that I work with do such an amazing job at the rehearsals and all of the events. Several of my officers spend endless hours at rehearsals and going over the paperwork that allows this club to run the way it does. The theater experience and community service hours are great opportunities for any student who wants to join!” –-Mr. Plompen

“[Being part of] The Walt Whitman Lamplighters is truly an experience I will never forget. The club gave me an opportunity to work with the funniest, most outgoing, zaniest people I have met in my life. While the club is a lot of work and a lot of hours, those hours contribute to us Lamplighters becoming one big family that we must tearfully say goodbye to at the end of each year. However, it is common for alumni to visit, and each visit is like a little family reunion. The club is my second family outside of my own and I look forward to seeing [members’] faces each and every time we meet, which, thanks to the club, is very frequently.” —Hans Bas. 

“So far this year, we have had a successful concert season and drama production. The people new to the club are really rising up to lead and are learning a lot about the equipment used in the PAC.  It’s a fun experience. We always work as a team and try our best to have the performers on stage shine for the audience. I joined during my freshman year because I do technical theater outside of school and really enjoy it. Large productions and events never come without hard work, but we always manage. The experience is one you can never forget.”  –Esteban Lopez

Lamplighters is an amazing club to be in if you love technology and being onstage but maybe have stage fright. You can be backstage and put in the same amount of work as you would on stage. However, we don’t just work. We also have fun and treat each other like family. Being a Lamplighter is a pleasure and the most amazing thing in the world.