The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

• September 292017-2018 Production Cycle Starting 9/30

Filed under Politics, Showcase

Election Day 2017

Source: Google Images

Source: Google Images

Source: Google Images

Election Day 2017 has provided some significant results and outcomes. There is no doubt that the last election changed the course of the nation when Donald Trump was elected as the President of the United States. Since then, there have been a multitude of scandals and issues revolving around his presidency. Having said that, the Republicans still control both houses of the Congress. The mid-term elections are next year in 2018 and may be crucial in the political dilemma of modern day.

This year, there were two major governor races in Virginia and New Jersey. In fact, President Trump and the Republican party even endorsed candidates in the respective states. However, the outcome was a Democratic victory in both of the states. The wins essentially represent the first significant electoral hope for the Democratic Party.

In addition to these wins, there were several record-breaking events in politics on Election Day. For example, the first openly-transgender state lawmaker, Andrea Jenkins, was elected in Virginia. In addition, New Jersey elected its first female African-American lieutenant governor, Sheila Oliver. There were many other historic victories this Election Day. Check out more Election Day records at Huffington Post.

With some major democratic victories, this may potentially signal a change in power next year. The accumulation of scandals relating to Russia and the amount of officials being arrested in the White House also foreshadow a probable decline in approval ratings of Donald Trump. In order for Trump to sustain his support, he must strive hard to keep his major campaign promises, such as building a wall between Mexico and the United States. In addition, he has had recent trouble with trying to repeal and replace Obamacare. With many of his staff members being indicted for wrongdoings, it seems like he is draining his cause as the wins this year on November 7th act like a warning.

Another major issue that affected New York voters was the Constitutional Convention. Many individuals feared that their rights and benefits could potentially be at risk. Therefore, New York voters resoundingly rejected the Constitutional Convention.  

Some Whitman students, like junior Dylan Rehman, believe that the “Constitutional Convention was clouded by the idea of the elimination of pensions for teachers.”

Others, like eleventh grader Jake Cartisano, stated that the convention should probably “have happened as there are other more significant issues.”

Sophomore Logan Slansky also agreed that the teachers mainly “voted no in order to preserve their future pensions and stability.”

It is important to note that election day next year will feature mid-term elections. So get ready for more campaign fun!

70 total views, 0 views today