Megaman 11: The Super Fighting Robot is Back!

In 2017, many gaming companies released video games that have astonished fans. Nintendo released Super Mario Odyssey, and SEGA released Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania. However, Capcom has not released a main series game since 2010 and since many fans have given up on Megaman, the mascot of Capcom. But the game changer was Capcom’s surprise live stream, which revealed the first Megaman game since Megaman 10 in 2010. Gaming fans now see a small hope for the super fighting robot with the new video game being released in late 2018, Megaman 11.

Megaman 11 steps away from the usual 8-bit style of its previous games, and takes a major jump into the 2.5D gaming world. Not much is known about the game due to its much later release date, but the game trailer speaks for itself. 2017 marked the 30-year anniversary of Capcom‘s super fighting robot, and with that, Capcom producer Kazuhiro Tsuchiya announced Megaman 11 to the world. A game based on side-scrolling platforming just like its predecessors, a new art style, new bosses, and the outstanding return of old characters could make Megaman 11 the biggest Megaman game so far.

The fans of the Megaman franchise thought that Megaman was “dead,” a gaming term stating that the mascot and gaming franchise as a whole is no longer talked about or has not released a new game in years and has, as a result, been abandoned by fans. But when Megaman 11 was announced, the fans saw a glimpse of light from the dark tunnel that Megaman has been walking through for nearly 7 years. Fan Sebastian Estevez, junior at Walt Whitman, is “completely mind-blown” by the game. He claims that “it’s the game that everyone has wanted.” Sophomore student Christopher Kreismer could not believe the news, exclaiming “Wow! Megaman’s not dead!” Some fans, like high school junior George Powell, had “no words” in reaction to the announcement of the game. And while there are those who are ecstatic over the impending release, others aren’t so satisfied. Whitman student Dylan Witt shows disinterest, claiming “Megaman is dead.” Capcom has a reputation of cancelling games in production, and some predict that Megaman 11 will go down that path. However, the fans are expectant, as this will be the franchise’s 30-year anniversary and hopefully, its revival.

It isn’t game over for Megaman, the mascot that many proclaimed “dead” and less successful than other franchises staples like Nintendo’s Super Mario and SEGA’s Sonic the Hedgehog. Megaman has received an opportunity to prove that Capcom has not given up on their mascot. As 2017 comes to an end and we welcome 2018, Capcom has the fate of its heroic character in its hands. Megaman 11 will be released in late 2018 for the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC. The super fighting robot is back, and he is ready to claim his spot at the top of the gaming industry.