The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Grammys

LA Daily News
Dua Lipa performing her hit song Houdini

The Grammys is an award show that recognizes some of the finest albums and performances throughout the past year. In February 2024, the 66th annual Grammy award show was held in vibrant Los Angeles, California. This year, a variety of talented artists were recognized for their contributions, such as Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and Billie Eilish. While many picks were praised by the music community, others sparked debate. All in all, this year’s Grammy awards was one that will not soon be forgotten. I wanted to recap on some of the most memorable moments and performances throughout the ceremony.

First, I’d like to highlight two of the most prestigious awards, Record of the Year and Album of the Year. Record of the year was won by Miley Cyrus for her song, Flowers. Flowers is Cyrus’ captivating rendition of the popular Bruno Mars song, When I Was Your Man, and took America by storm in 2023. Flowers reached 1.8 billion streams on Spotify in a little over a year of being available for streaming. Taylor Swift’s Midnights secured album of the year with hits like Anti-Hero taking over radio stations for months at a time. Other notable winners include Killer Mike and his album MICHAEL winning Rap album of the Year, outlasting favorites like Travis Scott’s Utopia.

Along with the awards that were won, the ceremony upheld multiple unforgettable performances, like Travis Scott performing his hit songs like FE!N, where he expresses his anger at being nominated for 10 Grammys and not winning one of them, channeling it into one, massive, intense performance. One of the opening performances was from Dua Lipa, where she sang Houdini to open the ceremony perfectly.

The Grammy Awards is often a highlight for many who are fond of the musical arts and will continue to be so for decades to come.