Yet Another Mass Shooting…Will This One Bring Change?

Yet Another Mass Shooting...Will This One Bring Change?

Valentine’s Day is supposed to be a day of love. However, a horrible tragedy occurred in Parkland, Florida as Nikolas Cruz, a former student of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, gunned down 17 people at a high school now in utter grief of losing 17 beautiful lives.

Some of the victims are 14 year old bright and young students, a geography teacher who displayed his heroism by shielding his students, a 17 year old who planned to swim at the University of Indianapolis, an assistant football coach, the school’s athletic director, and other beautiful human beings. CNN details all 17 victims.

After yet another  horrendous tragedy, there are so many questions to be asked and answered as the nation’s young adults are now taking a bold stance on common sense gun control to prevent another horrendous tragedy. Vox reports that there is a National School Walkout and a March for Our Lives event scheduled in March to elucidate the need to protect the nation’s kids in school.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting is unfortunately part of a litany of massacres, such as Sandy Hook, Pulse nightclub, Las Vegas, and others outlined by CNN. What will it take to enact some change in America regarding guns? This is the question that many around the nation are asking as they assert the lack of government’s actions in protecting the people of America. After all, why do these shootings keep happening over and over again?

The survivors at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School are taking a bold approach in inciting a nationwide movement to reform gun laws in order to protect the kids in school. In the words of NBC, the students are creating a “national conversation” about sensible gun laws, which already are creating debates around the nation as President Trump and other lawmakers face the ferocity of these students.

Many Whitman students try to climb into these student’s skin to understand their position as the nationwide conversation is just getting started and might be different from previous ones.

Whitman freshman Jaden Wedner believes the shooting really “should not have happened.” Brandon Monegro, another Whitman student, echoes Jaden’s sentiment as Brandon questions what it will take to “enact some change in the nation” since a myriad of mass shootings generally has not resulted in significant federal response. Whitman freshman Saúl Ramos also agrees with this as he wants to see lawmakers “do their job” as elected officials.

It seems like America’s blindness to mass shootings may be heavily downgraded with the help of the nation’s youth, especially the survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting.