The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Do Music Preferences Affect Fashion?

When it comes to music, everyone has a different preference. From pop music artists like Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo to hip hop phenomena like Kendrick Lamar and Drake, music is very subjective. Now, what about fashion? There are countless different fashion styles that people enjoy wearing. Some prefer streetwear with simple cargo pants and a t-shirt and some prefer going all out with a unique Y2K style.

This raises the question: Is there a correlation between one’s music taste and the style they wear? I asked 35 students some questions to figure it out.

Question 1: What is their favorite music genre?

There was a tie between Hip-Hop and Pop for the most listened to genre. Each with around 22% of people listening to them. The close runner up was R&B with about 17% of people listening to them.

Question 2: What are the students top three favorite musical artists?

The clear most listened to artist in this group was Taylor swift. Around 50% of people listed her as one of their favorite artists. Other popular picks were Harry Styles, Travis Scott, and Kanye West, each with around 5 people listing them.

Question 3: What is the student’s fashion taste or what they would wear to a casual hangout if they are unsure?

Most students picked casual as their fashion choice with over 70% of people listing that they dress casual. The second most popular fashion taste was streetwear. However, only 12% of people chose this.

Ultimately, there was no clear correlation between fashion and music taste in Mr. Shepherd’s AP Seminar classes. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t a correlation with other groups of people and their music and fashion preferences. Think about some close friends and how they dress and what music they listen to. See if you can find a correlation!

• Sarah Bruzual: “My favorite artist is Taylor Swift, and she loves to dress in fall colors so her outfits are my inspo for fall.”
  • Aryaa Shah: “I think my personal style is always kind of like my music taste. I’ll listen to pretty much anything and I wear most styles.”
  • Shay Lublin: “I love Laufey and songs like Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. My music taste is all over the place but I always wear fun colorful sweaters.”
  • Lucas Hill: “I listen to Nirvana and other 90’s rock and grunge artists, which is reflected in my enjoyment of wearing flannel and converse.”