The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Whitman’s Top Three Holiday Movies

Photos taken from IMDb

Winter brings about many fun activities like snowboarding, snowman building, snow gazing, and skiing. With all these energy-demanding and snow-focused activities, it’s great to lay back with some family and friends on Christmas Eve and just watch a nice, long movie. Maybe you want to watch a classic like The Grinch or Home Alone, or perhaps some action like Die Hard, or a movie that will get some screams like Krampus. However, it is possible that you’re having trouble deciding on which movie to spend the nights of winter breaks watching. Not to worry, let’s see what students at Walt Whitman High School would watch in such a jolly time of the year. Here are the top three picks:

Coming in third place, the movie Elf. Elf is a great comedy fantasy film for the family. The film follows the story of an elf named Buddy that was mysteriously found at the North Pole. Buddy, in all his life in the north pole, never shook off the feeling that he didn’t belong in the North Pole. So, in quest of finding answers, Buddy goes to New York, still dressed as an elf. In New York, he finds a man named Walter Hobbs who turns out to be his father. Now, Walter Hobbs must deal with the elf-like Buddy in their challenge to rekindle their kinship. 

In second place by just a few votes is The Nightmare Before Christmas. This festive, animated comedy is about Halloweentown’s pumpkin king himself, Jack Skellington. Tired of the boring old scares he uses on people in the “real world,” Jack finds himself in Christmastown. With all the jolly energy around, Jack decides to take the town for himself. To do this, he decides to kidnap Santa Claus, however, his plans with skeleton men and mice soon go off track. 

Finally, the top holiday movie pick for Walt Whitman High School is Home Alone! “It’s just the go-to for a Christmas movie,” said Freshman Grant Borden. Over 75 students agree. Home Alone is an American comedy film directed by Chris Columbus and written/produced by John Hughes. The movie follows an eight year old boy named Kevin McCallister who wishes to be left alone after an altercation with his family members. Ultimately, his wish does come true as his family members mistakenly leave him at home while they go on a trip. Everything is great until Kevin realizes that two con men are planning to rob his family home. With only himself and the house to protect, Kevin must come up with a plan to thwart the intruders.