Music to Our Ears: Spring Concerts Excel

With the onset of spring comes music concerts at Walt Whitman. Students who have been practicing for months had the opportunity to perform in front of their parents and peers at the recent music concerts. Orchestra, band, and chorus all performed in the past few weeks.

The first concert night showcased the orchestra, as both Chamber Orchestra and Symphonic Orchestra played the pieces they have been working on. The two groups sounded great, proving that hard work does pay off. Frank Yolango led the groups in challenging songs such as “Serenade,” “Danzas de Panama,” and “Downland Suite.” It was the last concert ever for many of the seniors who belong to the group, making for an emotional performance. I talked to a few of the players who said they were “extremely proud of the group” and “happy to put on such a great show.”

Another great performance was by the chorus groups. Voices had a large selection including “Ngana,” “The Awakening,” “Until Then,” and “Cloths of Heaven.”  A member of the group said that the experience was “nerve-racking but super fun.”  Women’s Choir performed “The Swallow” and “Lift Thine Eyes” while Chorale sang “Chili con Carne” beautifully. I talked to a member of the audience who said,”It was really good. It was really enjoyable to watch because the students looked like they were having so much fun.”

Last, but certainly not least, was the band. It proved to be a bittersweet performance as the beloved band teacher Mr. Deitz is set to retire next year. He is definitely a favorite of the students involved in band so everyone knew it would be a memorable performance. The Wind Ensemble played the pieces “Minuteman” and “The Divine Comedy.” The Jazz Band also put on an incredible performance, playing “Valero,” “Quintessence,” “Blue Samuel,” and “Bird Land.” Members of the band described the night as surreal and amazing. One student said, “It’s fitting that the best run we ever did was Deitz’s last run.”

The groups that performed over the past few weeks helped prove how dedicated the music program is here at Walt Whitman. The students all worked extremely hard and the result was definitely worth it, both for the players and for the audience.