The Paw Print

Filed under News, Technology

Computer Science Opportunities at Whitman

It has been 42 years since the release of the first personal computer and computing is booming.  Around 85% of households have personal computers while around 73% have Internet connection, according a survey done in 2013.  That said, it is no surprise that computer-based jobs are on the rise.  In fact, the number of available jobs exceeds the number of graduates.
     A computer science degree, typically a bachelor’s degree, can give you access to jobs in a variety of fields, including software systems development, computer programming, web development, and network systems administration.  The average national starting salary for a graduate with a computer science degree is $60,000, a number that is large even compared to the national average for a business degree, which begins at $54,000.  For reference, the average salary for a Computer Science Engineer is $86,475 in New York City.
     Jason Deveraj, a Whitman junior, claims that an increase in computer science workers would “advance” current technologies and improve “apps” and other modern conveniences. Furthermore, Parker Keller, a Whitman junior, states that computer science is a beneficial way to “increase employment in America.”
     Andrew Ferreri, a junior, believes that computer science’s astounding growth as an educational and occupational field is “fantastic” but believes that “the need for more classes in school to introduce more people to the field is very necessary.” Fortunately, Whitman offers three computer science programs: Intro to Computer Science, AP Computer Science Principles, and now AP Computer Science A.
     Intro to Computer Science is a course dedicated to introducing JavaScript to students in order to solve complex problems and develop programs. AP Computer Science Principles builds on the Intro syllabus and adds HTML for its utility in website building. AP Computer Science A utilizes the language Java (not to be confused with JavaScript) to solve complex problems and build more challenging programs.  
     Fortunately, I participated in Intro to Computer Science, I currently take AP Computer Science Principles, and will participate in AP Computer Science A before I graduate. I maintain confidently that the courses are mind-opening because they enable logical rational thinking. Furthermore, the capability to develop programs that can do anything, from a simple game of tic-tac-toe to a complex user interface, puts a smile on my face.   

268 total views, 2 views today