The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

A “Fresh”man Perspective

Lucy Chicas

On September 5, 2023, many others and I walked into a brand new building for our first day of high school. It was bigger than my middle school – that’s for sure – but it also felt familiar, being school and all. Day one was filled with excitement, joy, and, for some, anxiety.

I was energized due to sleeping-in all summer and generally happy with my teachers. However, I did get first day jitters though they quickly went away like the time I had remaining to get to class – like some of my freshmen peers, I was late to my first period class because I couldn’t find my locker!

“The school was big and it wasn’t really scary, but it was more of a new experience,” Grant Borden told me.

Although it was the first day of school, I did get a lot of ‘about you’ homework. Reality sank in real fast. “Way too much work,” said Alex Bautista, laughing.

However, I’d rather focus on all the familiar faces I got to see. Miles Berman agrees, saying, “I felt happy because I got to see friends I didn’t get to see over the summer.” By contrast, Grant Borden says that he “kind of hung out with all of [his] friends over the summer.”

We all know the feeling on the first day, the familiar and new faces we got to see, but what about the rest of the school year? My goal for this year is to write the end of year freshman perspective article. Others like Grant Borden have goals along the lines of “turning in all [his] homework on time and not being late to class.” Gustavo Delgadillo wants to “learn more” though, as he said, “I’m not certain, being honest, when is anybody sure?”

Nevertheless, a new chapter in the book of our lives is being written and nobody quite knows how it will play out.