The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

AP World vs. AP Euro

AP World History and AP European History are two great classes that can earn you college credit if you take them. If you are a freshman currently doing course registration and are wondering whether you should take AP World or AP Euro, this article is for you. I interviewed AP World teacher, Dr. Meier, and AP Euro teacher, Ms. Costanza, about what each course consists of.

When interviewed, Dr. Meier said that she chose to teach AP World because she was very interested in World History and educating students about “diversity, tolerance of different cultures, customs, and religions,” so AP World was “the next step” for her. Her favorite thing about AP World is that it is “challenging and exciting,” and that students are “learning something new every single day.” She expects students to “be passionate” about AP World and put the effort in by doing assignments, showing up to extra-help sessions, and paying attention in class.

When I interviewed Ms. Costanza, she said that she loved being able to “go into European History in great detail.” She also said that if you are “a history person, it’s perfect.” Her favorite thing about the course is watching how time and eras pass along with the “growth of different nations” and how it has “formed the modern world.” She expects students to put in “a lot of effort” and explains how as long as you “pay attention and complete assignments that are expected to be done,” you’ll be fine.

I asked both of them which course they thought a sophomore should take and they both had the same answer: “Follow whatever your interests are.” If you are interested in learning more about the cultures and history of people around the world, you should take AP World. If you’re more interested in Western history and aspire to be a history major when you go to college, then AP Euro is for you.