The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Summer Ideas

We’re all lucky enough to live on Long Island in the summertime where there is a lot to do. Even if you get bored over the summer, the vacation is what you make of it. Often, everyone talks about the nostalgia of Summer 2019 because it was one of the best summer breaks. But this summer has just as much potential.

If you’re looking for an adventurous day, a short 40 minute ferry ride will get you to Fire Island. There, you can spend the day at the beach, grab food at the many local restaurants, then go shopping at the various shops and end the day with some cold ice cream. Overall, Fire Island is a great place to spend a day trip with your friends and family.

Whether you want to stay local or take a ferry ride to Fire Island, there are many other fun things to do that don’t require a plane ride. For example, less than 35 minutes away are the beaches, Robert Moses and Jones Beach. If you’re on the beach with your friends, you can play volleyball, spikeball, tan, swim, or simply get ice cream and acai bowls. And if you find regular beach days boring, there are opportunities to start or join a beach volleyball team at Cedar Beach.

Although there are many things to do at the beach, not everyone is into the beach and that’s okay. There are so many other things you can do. A wooden crate at Michaels is only $15 and you can paint it for cheap to make a bikini box. If you don’t have a lot of bathing suits, you can make a smaller crate OR it can double as a cute spot to put blankets and other items in your room.

In addition to these ideas, students at Whitman have different ways they like to spend their summer as well. Take Junior Grace DeMarinis, who says “love[s] to spend time outside enjoying the weather,” or Junior Sameera Chaudry who “like[s] to take long walks in nature.”

No matter what you decide to do this summer, we hope you have a great one! See you in September!