The Paw Print

Filed under Sports

History Made at the US Open

Back to Article
Back to Article

History Made at the US Open

This year’s US Open, held at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens, brought with it a very historical preface: Serena Williams, ranked number one in the world, was attempting to win a calendar Grand Slam, a feat in which every major tennis tournament is won in a single year. Coming into this year’s US Open, Williams had won every match she’d played in a major tournament and seemed to be on her way to making history. Could Serena win yet another major tournament and become the first woman to win the Grand Slam since Steffi Graf in 1988?

As expected, Serena cruised her way to the semi-final match against unseeded Italian Roberta Vinci, defeating her sister, Venus, in a three-set thriller along the way. Many believed that Williams would crush her opponent and move onto the championship match to claim her 7th US Open title. However, Vinci, who after the match admitted that she had not been expecting to win, beat Serena 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.  “It wasn’t a loss for me,” Serena said to reporters following the match, “it was a win and a learning experience. And I tried hard. Unfortunately the girl I played just outplayed me that day, you know…”

Despite the loss, Serena still attracted large crowds at her matches, and it was clear that everyone in attendance hoped to see her make history. Unfortunately, those crowds will have to wait until next year to see if Serena can become just the second woman in twenty-seven years to win a Grand Slam.

On the men’s side of things, the championship match came down to the highest-ranked players in the world, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. Ironically, the match was delayed due to rain, as the roof over Arthur Ashe Stadium intended to prevent such delays was still under construction. After four sets, Djokovic defeated Federer to claim the second US Open victory of his career. “I have to share my admiration for Roger, everything he’s still doing for tennis. It was a tough one tonight. I have a tremendous respect for Roger, an incredible record,”  said Djokovic in a postgame interview.

Although we didn’t see Serena Williams make history this year, the 2015 US Open was still full of memorable moments and upsets. The arrival of next year’s major tournaments cannot come soon enough.