The student news site of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, NY.

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

High School Sports: Are They For You?

Walt Whitman Athletic Departments Page, Suffolk Class AA Championship Girls Basketball 2022-2023

Are you thinking about playing a sport this winter, or are you currently a student athlete who dedicates a lot of time, money, and effort into your sport?

Playing high school sports has both physical and psychological, positive and negative effects. However, sports are overall a positive attribute to one’s life.

They can create friendships, help you stay active, and give you something to look forward to at the end of the grueling school day. Megan Rankel, a senior on the girls varsity volleyball team, seems to agree. She describes volleyball as a place where not only she can hangout with her friends but also relieve stress. However, volleyball has led to injuries as well. Due to a poor landing, she once broke her foot, making her unable to play for two months. Despite this physical downside, she believes that sports are a positive addition to one’s life.

Similar to Megan, Joel Chavez, a junior on the boys varsity soccer team, enjoys his sport as well. With thirteen years of experience in soccer, he continues to pursue his passion for this sport by practicing everyday, year-round.

Though, to every upside, there is a downside.

Through soccer, he has obtained not only an unfortunate hamstring injury but damage to his knees due to excessive use. This is a prime example of how high school sports can have the downsides of potential injuries and stress due to the dedication they require.

However the positives outweigh the negatives. According to a medical review by Jennifer Mathe, MS, CSCS, NATA-BOC, the top 1% of males between the ages of seventeen and twenty-one have a mile time of Joel’s speed (six minutes and thirty seconds). As a result, participating in sports has improved not only his but Megan’s fitness as well. It’s clear that sports have a positive effect even with the risk of injuries. Though, with proper technique and training, injuries can be avoidable.

Sports come with both physical and mental benefits that anybody could gain from playing. Maybe next season, you can be a student-athlete as well.