10 Reasons Why You Should Play A School Sport

Source%3A+The+Cincinnati+Enquirer+

Source: The Cincinnati Enquirer

As students enter high school, they are exposed to hundreds of extracurricular activities to choose from.  It may be overwhelming to choose which ones to participate in and which ones best fit the student’s interests.  Teenagers should consider playing school sports for the many benefits they offer.  Here are several reasons why a student should play on a school sports team.

1. Fitness.  A student playing a sport gets exercise for hours every week and will leave the season in better shape.  Drills and warm-ups help your body become used to the physical activity, increasing speed and endurance. Working out so much allows teens to lose weight and build up muscle.  Athletes are also less likely to be involved in sedentary activities like watching television, so their BMIs improve. Exercising can also reduce the risks of obesity and illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes.
  2. Smarter Decisions.  Teenagers involved in school sports are less likely to participate in risky activities such as doing drugs, smoking, or become pregnant out of fear that it will hurt their performance in practice and games.  A dedicated athlete may not want to risk getting hurt to the point where they will not be able to play. Athletes are shown to make better decisions involving their health and may encourage teammates to do the same.
  3. Time Management.  Student-athletes learn firsthand how to balance a heavy workload with their sports commitments.  It can influence them to lessen procrastination and work efficiently to accomplish everything they need to get done.  This is an important skill in college and later in adult life, so getting a head start now is beneficial in the long run.
  4. Improved Academics.  Athletes are shown to do well in school, with an average GPA of 2.84 compared to the 2.68 of non-athletes. Sports require memorization, repetition, and goal setting skills that translate directly from the field to the classroom. Kids who do school sports are more likely to attend school and get the nutrition they need to stay alert during class.  Active athletes were shown by a study published in Sports and Exercise to perform 10 percent better in the core subjects of math, science, and social studies.  There are also higher graduation rates among athletes as compared to the rest of the student body.  
  5. Boost in Self-Esteem.  Athletes are shown to have a more positive body image, especially females.  After seeing hard work and progress pay off on the court, they have an increased confidence. Also, working out can help teens get the body they want so they are more comfortable with how they look.
  6. Social Skills.  Being on a team allows teenagers to learn many valuable skills involving communication.  Surrounded by people with the same goals as them inspires commitment and positivity. Teammates begin to form tight bonds involving trust, honesty, and fun.  Sharing a passion with people on your team makes them seem like family rather than just counterparts.  It’s a rewarding experience to develop teamwork with people who have your back.
  7. Decrease in Stress.  Athletes are shown to have less stress and fewer instances of mental disorders such as anxiety and depression.  Exercise is a proven way to release tension as it is productive and helps individuals forget about what is bothering them.  They are also surrounded by people who may be able to help them, such as supportive coaches and understanding teammates.
  8. Community.  Being part of a team helps boost school pride.  It is a great experience to get up in front of your peers and do something you love.  Teams have a big influence on the school and are supported by people all over the community.  There is a feeling of honor and spirit associated with playing for your school.
  9. Persistence.  A struggling athlete learns how practice makes perfect.  Watching those around them and trying their hardest has positive results.  Putting in that extra effort can transform a player from a bench warmer into a starter.  They learn how never giving up allows them to achieve their goals, both in sports and real life.  It is an important lesson that effort has a direct correlation with performance.
  10. Fun.  As obvious as it may sound, playing a sport as enjoyable.  It lets a player take their mind off serious subjects and be around their friends.  As opposed to learning in school and being involved in academic clubs, sports are a good time to relax.  Many athletes claim there is no better feeling than being surrounded by parents, teachers, and students cheering them on as they play a game they love.

Overall, being on a school sports team is a rewarding for individuals looking to make the most out of their high school career.  Student-athletes learn so many skills and receive many benefits for playing, and it is recommended for anyone interested to try it out at least once.